Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Shock Collars Banned in Wales

Wales has banned electric shock dog collars. If convicted, you could face a $30,000 fine and six months in prison.

Thoughts?

On the one hand, I think they are archaic, mostly unnecessary "training tools". On the other hand, what about as a last resort measure used under the strict guidance of a certified behaviorist?

Personally, I believe most behaviors can be modified without the use of a shock collar. I think people want a quick fix. This is fine, I understand that. But to translate a quick fix into funneling electricity through your dog does not seem fair.

Also, I think the argument that "dogs will now be killed en masse" is silly. That's me, though.

I'm not really a fan of the six month prison sentence or a multi-thousand dollar penalty, either.

No comments: