Sunday, May 30, 2010

Flowers in Bloom

The past week's weather has been interesting. From rain and hail storms, temperatures down to the 40-50s F to bright, hot sun and temperatures in the 80s. Not our usual northern California May weather. The plants and flowers have not been liking the extra rain. Gardeners aren't either. It increases mold, fungus and mildew and decreases the growing potential of different veggies and fruits, especially melons. It's nice to see normal May weather - 80s!

I took some photos of flowers growing in my mom's garden. The flowers were stretching hard to reach the sun and pollinating insects. When the veggie garden we planted is in full swing, I'll take pictures. They're just babies now. We've got melons, tomatoes, corn, peppers, lettuce, cucumbers, and chilis. Yum!

Marigold

may 29 2010 flo smb

May 29 2010 flo sma

4 comments:

Retrieverman said...

LOL

In my part of the country, May, June, and July are when it really, really starts to rain.

And it gets muggy and hot.

By August it is so unbearable that the rain finally ends.

Mary said...

Wow. Those photos are stunning. What are you shooting with?

Kari in Alaska said...

those are beautiful! It really makes me miss my MILs garden

Unknown said...

@Retrieverman: We get all our rain from December to March/April. Then it's dry, dry, dry. California is nice and green in the winter, brown in the summer.

@Mary: Thanks! Those were shot w/ a Canon EOS 40d and a 105 mm sigma lens.

@Kari in WeHo: Thank you! I haven't had time to plant my own garden, so I have to live vicariously through my mom's.