Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Next Foster Dog

Meet Carter.
He's 7. He's blind. And he's mine starting Saturday! Well, by mine, I mean he's my next foster dog. I'm really hoping MIna thinks he is the best thing since peanut butter.

I've never fostered or worked with a blind dog. I am going to set up the kitchen for him, since it's the safest and easiest for him to become familiar with. I am going to buy bells for Mina, so he can hear her (Celeste has jingly tags). I've also heard that different textures can be used to guide blind dogs to certain areas, like for water and food.

He belonged to a family that gave him up a year ago when they had a child. They did not understand why he would just sit on the bed "staring" outside, for hours. The shelter immediately noticed he was blind and called the family back. They took him back in, but a year later, when they had a second child, they gave up this amazing dog for good.

Luckily, he ended up at a great shelter that works its collective butts off to rehome or send to rescue their dogs and cats. I agreed to foster him through a really wonderful rescue called the Center for Animal Protection and Education (C.A.P.E.)

Apparently he still loves to play and is a very young at heart 7-yr-old. I don't know why people think seven is old. Not for a Pit Bull. Mina didn't start to show real signs of age until three years ago...at the age of, I dunno, 11 or 12.

If you have ever fostered a blind dog, any tips would be appreciated!

No comments: