Wednesday, June 22, 2011

What Vegan Food Looks Like: Muhammara

Muhammara

Muhammara is not veganized, it just is. The dip originates from the Middle East and is still commonly consumed there as a dip for pita, chips, vegetables, kabobs...just about anything, because it's that damn good.

It is also very easy to make. The taste is so much more complex than hummus. It's a bit of sweet and hot and a zest from the garlic. I really love it and have been making it a lot recently.

I don't really follow a recipe for it, but there are plenty out there! I go by taste and texture.

Here is one recipe (my comments in parenthesis)

Ingredients

  • 2 roasted red peppers (if you want to, make 'em yourself. Otherwise, be like me, and just buy a jar). 
  • 1 T. water
  • 2/3 c. walnuts (I prefer raw but you can do toasted too)
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 1/3 c bread crumbs (I make my own by toasting part of a baguette in the oven, breaking it into pieces, then running it through the food processor, adding in oregano, sage, thyme, whatever)
  • 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 2 tsp. agave nectar/rice syrup (you can generally find this in most supermarkets, it's honey equivalent, otherwise use molasses thinned out or maple syrup)
  • 2 T. fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
 Directions: Throw all that shiz-nit into a food processor and puree until smooth. Or chunky, if you like!

No comments: