Wednesday, January 20, 2010

PETA hates women

I don't know how else to explain their behavior when it comes to women.

Their most recent misogyny can be found on their website. I won't link to it, but it's their "State of the Union Undress" in which a woman undresses herself while supposedly advertising all the great things PETA has done in 2009.

And this year, they specifically asked for an African American or "mixed race" woman

Being proud of your body is wonderful. Being comfortable with your skin and nudity is also great. I am not a prude. Sex can be a wonderful expression of connection between people.

But selling sex in order to stop the exploitation of other species' seems disingenuous, at best.


You cannot pursue the cessation of animal exploitation when you, as an organization, perpetuate the self-objectification and commodification of human females. It just cannot be done. And I'm tired of it. Women are not body parts. They are not breasts and butts and exposed skin. They certainly cannot be effective advocates for horribly exploited female farmed animals. When you see PETA's ads or shock tactics, you know nothing about the woman, do you? Do you know her interests? Why she cares about nonhumans? Where she comes from and where she's going? What makes her care about other exploited species? All you get is flesh, body parts, comparmentalization of a unique individual. That the women participate in their own self-exploitation is heart-breakingly sad.

I want people to care, for example, about farmed animals because I know them to be fascinating, engaging, emotional, intelligent individuals with different personalities. I want people to care for dairy cows because they are denied motherhood and green pastures. I want people to care for egg-laying hens because they are de-beaked, housed in cages so small they can't turn around, and killed at an unreasonably young age. I want people to care about nonhuman animals because we know they can suffer, just like us. And I just find it difficult to convince people to care when an organization purporting to help animals is exploiting women and engaging in sexist ad campaigns. It isn't just.

4 comments:

Princess said...

Not PETA related, I try not to think about them too much, it makes my head hurt trying to understand them...but, we saw this posted on another blog and couldn't help but think of Mina!!

http://www.cafepress.com/dogs_of_war.52945677

~P and her mom

Retrieverman said...

Speaking of propaganda, have you seen this?:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/809422/

Kari in Alaska said...

PETA hates all pet owners. But I won't get started on my antiPETA ramblings

Unknown said...

@Princess: Oh, I should definitely get one of those!

@Retrieverman: I hadn't seen that! Troy McClure, he's a very "truthy" sort of guy. :) I'm particularly fond of the food chain and scientician. :)