Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Mooing is Serious Business

Sadie is the love of my life at the sanctuary. She's been through so much and I've spent so much time regaining her trust. What once used to be a long-distance relationship now involves extensive grooming sessions and back massages (she grooms me, I massage her back). She's yelling at another cow in this photo.

I should add a fun fact: Ruminants, like cattle, don't have upper teeth. They have a set of lower teeth. What they do have up on top is a really rough-and-tumble dental pad that's tough enough to crush food with.
Thank you-moo!

6 comments:

Kari in Alaska said...

ha that is a great capture! love the face :)

Anonymous said...

Mama used to have moo-cows when she was little. WAAAAAY before she met me. She thinks I need to met one. But I met a Horse. And they are HUGE, HUMUNGOUS, GIGANTEOUS! And it sniff my butt. Nope, no cows for me.

Your friend Quizz

pibble said...

Oh, what a beautiful, beautiful face. I wonder if she knows she's in a safe place now?

Unknown said...

@Kari: Thanks!

@cre8vekaos: Oh Quizz, according to Mina, cows are a lot of fun! They have big heads and hard-to-reach butts to sniff, though...just like horses. They can be a little scary, though!

@Pibble: I hope she knows. She doesn't run away from us anymore, so she must know we're bringers of good things, something she wasn't used to on the farm.

PoochesForPeace said...

I love when you put pics up from the sanctuary! I've never been up close and personal with a cow, but in Ohio I do drive past them sometimes, and I think they're beautiful. It makes me sad to see them on a farm where I can't help but wonder how horribly they could be being treated.

Vegan Girl (Roni Seabury) said...

I hope that's not Howie she's yelling at!