Friday, May 25, 2012

Vegan Eats (aka Food): Tofu Scramble

Belated mother's day breakfast of tofu scramble and tempeh bacon 

I love me some tofu scrambles, because they are incredibly easy-peasy to make. That is my style of cooking, yo.

Also my style of cooking prefers no recipes, and tofu scrambles are no exception. I just fling shit together and hope for the best.

A good base for the scramble is garlic and onions. I chop them up (1/4 onion, 3-4 cloves) and saute them with oil in a pan of awesome. When the onion starts to soften, about 5 minutes, then I add the tofu.

I prefer extra firm tofu. If you like other kinds of tofu, make sure to squeeze out all the excess water before cooking. Tofu soaks up any and all flavors and scents, but it cannot do that with a bunch of water loading it down. Plus no one likes mushy scramble.

I'll take about 10 ounces of tofu and crumble it into small, bite-sized chunks and toss it into the pan.

Then comes the fun part, adding other stuff! In this scramble, I added chopped green and kalamata olives, green onions, and some mango salsa. For spices, I used a smidgen of cayenne, chili powder, tumeric to get that yellow color, cumin and salt. Sometimes I do curry.

I cook until it is all hot and bothered, then when I think there are five minutes left, I bust out some tempeh bacon and fry those suckers up in another pan.

Then I drizzle hot sauce or ketchup over it and stuff it all in my face.

No comments: