Monday, October 22, 2012

Book - Huntress, Malinda Lo

I don't usually cry reading a book, but I ended up doing so while reading Huntress by Malinda Lo.

First, I cannot tell you how gratifying it is to read books where nonhumans are referred to properly as "he"and "she". In one scene, a deer is being hunted, and the buck is referred to as a "he', and his death -ugly and certainly painful - is not glossed over...the main character is disturbed and haunted by it.

I had just finished Stiefvater's The Scorpio Races where the treatment and death of nonhumans is treated so flippantly and callously, where even supposedly "beloved" animals are still referred to as property and inanimate objects. I find this common language disheartening. Then to pick up Lo's book and read wolves, pigs, deer, horses, etc referred to by their biological sex (when known). Refreshing, yo.

Second, LOVE to any author who creates and allows for the growth of strong female characters. Lo writes female characters beautifully and she crafts societies and cultures that are just and fair...and where being a woman is just, you know, being a woman...ain't no thang.

I had read Lo's other book Ash and really enjoyed it as well, but I loved Huntress more.

We are still in a society and world that treats non-hetero relationships as "other" and "less than". In Lo's world, love is love. I can get behind that.

No comments: