Meanwhile, the city is issuing requests for proposals from private organizations to run the shelter, an idea which Councilman Joe Brown said he opposed.
"We have a better staff of employees at the shelter than any other shelter in the region," said Brown. 'There's no reason for outsourcing."
I point you over to Yesbiscuit, because Shirley has a boatload of stories and images depicting the best the Memphis region has to offer.
This is a shelter that
* hires felons who steal dogs for breeding purposes,
* hires staff that allow puppies to sit in their own filth,
* employs people who lie about the feral state of a dog, then refuse to help rescuers get the dog to a sanctuary
* permits their staff to handle two unknown, powerful dogs at the same time (on their way to the death room) and trains them the best way to break up a dog fight is to beat the dogs or just stand there and smile.
* most heinous of all, allows their staff to kill healthy, adoptable pets.
If this really is your best, you have one of two problems.
Problem A: You are lying.
Problem B: Your best sucks.